Frequently Asked Questions
Towel warmers have a variety of uses and applications. They are used to heat towels/bathrobes so the user has a warm towel/bathrobe when drying off after a shower or leaving the pool/beach/spa. After a towel is used, the towel warmer will dry it out, reducing laundry loads and water consumption, as the towels won’t need to be washed as frequently. It will help prevent the towels from giving off that musty/moldy smell they can produce when not dried properly.
There are additional uses for towel warmers in the laundry room, mud rooms, garages & basements. They can be used to dry women’s delicates that cannot be dried in a tumble dryer (with our digital heat controller accessory); as well as, wet boots or shoes by hanging them on robe hooks. They will help bathrooms stay warm, dry, mold, mildew and humidity free. They also double as radiators or space heaters to heat bathrooms, mudrooms etc.
No! Towel warmers can be used in almost any type application because we offer some models that double as space heaters. Besides the bathroom, they can be used in mudrooms, saunas, spas, kitchens, basements, on boats, or in any room that may need additional heat. In some cases, they may also act as the sole source of heat in a room; for example a finished basement where dropping the ceiling to add central heating/air is not possible or too costly.
- Amba’s mission is to deliver high quality products at an affordable price. Our products are predominantly made from solid 304 Stainless Steel, not mild steel. Further, our products are not chrome plated and will not flake, a common problem amongst chrome plated materials. Only our Traditional models are made of nickel plated brass.
- The majority of our Amba Towel Warmers are made with high quality Italian heating elements.
- We offer the fastest and most efficient cable heating systems available for towel warmers, designed & made in Italy.
- Amba offers an inclusive, wide range of styles, sizes and finishes of Towel Warmers, and if we do not have anything that matches your desire, we can have a Custom Size unit fabricated to meet almost any specification (please see custom section below).
- We sell our products at very competitive prices, and do not use high mark-ups so that we are able to offer ‘big discounts’.
- We pride ourselves on customer service and satisfaction and will always go above and beyond to make the customer happy and satisfied with their product; so not only are you getting a great product, you will also receive great customer service and an overall satisfying experience from start to finish.
- Our Jeeves collection towel warmers are offered in 4 different finishes: Polished, Brushed, Oil Rubbed Bronze, and White
- Our Quadro & Sirio models are available in 3 different finishes: Polished, Brushed and Oil Rubbed Bronze
- Our Antus, Elory, Vega, Freestanding and Swivel collections are offered in 2 finishes: Polished and Brushed
- Our Traditional model is offered in 1 finish: Polished Nickel (light colored polished version).
- All finishes are same price on any model
- An ELECTRICAL towel warmer is heated by an electrical heating system (see ‘how long do the unit take to heat up?’ below for difference in the heating process) that heats the bars. Electric units can be installed anywhere there is an electrical source, are much simpler to install, and can be used all year round. All our models are offered in the electrical version standard.
- A HYDRONIC unit is heated by hot water via a radiator system or boiler in the house. The hydronic unit is controlled by a valve that lets the hot water flow through the towel warmer heating it and consequently the towels. The down side of the hydronic system is that in summer when the radiator heating system is not in use the towel warmers cannot be used. Please see the custom section below for more details on hydronic units.
- Our Italian made collections (Quadro, Sirio, Vega, Antus and Elory) heat by way of a new patented technology that uses thick wire cables throughout the unit (both vertical and horizontal bars) and takes only 15 minutes to heat up, regardless of the size of the unit.
- Our Jeeves collection takes between 30 minutes to 1 hour to heat up to its top temperature depending on the size of the unit you have. The process by which they heat is a heating element that heats a glycol-water mixture (similar to antifreeze) which the unit is filled with. This in turn heats up the horizontal and vertical bars, beginning with the top bars and working its way down.
- Note: The temperature of the room, the size of the room, and if it is placed near a vent will all have an effect on the time it takes to heat your towel.
- JEEVES COLLECTION: If the towel warmer is too cold for your liking, you can leave it on for longer periods of time. Do not use 15/30/60min timers as they will not allow sufficient time for the unit to heat up. If the unit has been on for at least an hour and is cold to the touch (i.e. little to no heat) you should contact our customer service department for troubleshooting. The Jeeves units are supposed to heat to 145° – 154°F with a security cut-off at 158°F. You should be able to grab and hold onto the bars without burning the skin, while still feeling very hot to the touch: You will want to let go of it after a short period of time (note: time is base on sensitivity to heat which varies by person).
- Italian Collection (QUADRO, SIRIO, VEGA, and ANTUS): If the towel warmer is too hot or too cold for your preference, the Digital Heat Controller (standard on all models except Q 2016/S2121; available in brushed/polished finishes; see accessories below) allows you to regulate the heat level with 9 different temperature settings. These collections range between 131° – 167°F. If the units do not heat at all, you should contact the customer service department for troubleshooting.
- Solo Collection: This Freestanding unit will heat up to 149°F. It is not possible to adjust this temperature or power settings on these units.
- Swivel Collection: These units heat up to 136°F, and it is not possible to adjust the temperature or power settings on these units. These are the lowest wattage units of all the towel warmers we offer.
- YES! The towel warmers are very safe to use and have no exposed elements and a safe surface temperature (Min. 136°F – Max. 167°F depending on your unit).
- The Jeeves units have a built in thermostat and internal thermal cut-out for optimal energy consumption and safety. Once the unit reaches the ideal operating temperature, it then cycles itself to maintain this temperature. This allows them to be left on continuously, only drawing power to maintain the ideal temperature range. If for any reason it overheats, there is a safety cutout switch and the unit will shut off. A switch should always be provided so the units can be switched off when not in use, while on vacation for example.
- For all other collections, once the units reach their top temperature, they will remain at that temperature and won’t fluctuate. You may add a timer (all models) or digital heat controller (only on Antus, Quadro, Sirio, Vega & Elory) to the units to better control energy consumption whilst still maintaining full use of the towel warmer (see accessories section below for more information on these items).
- The units should be installed by a certified electrician according to the local electrical code. Most wiring in bathrooms today is already GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) equipped, which is an inexpensive electrical device that prevents the risk of electrocution.
- The towel warmers have been designed to operate continuously. Depending on the model, they start at using power equivalent to only one or two light bulbs.
- The best way to lay a towel over a towel warmer is quite simple. We recommend folding your towel in thirds lengthwise, and then draping it over the top bar with half of the towel on either side of the unit. If you have a larger towel, you can even repeat this an additional time. By doing so, you have created multiple layers of towel lying on either side of the heated bar. The more layers there are, the greater number of insulating layers which help the towel absorb and retain the heat. Further, the more layers, the more weight pulling the towel down so it touches the bars creating more surface area contact. We suggest having the towel cover at least three to four horizontal bars. You may also consider folding the towels on its length, then covering it with a large, open, unfolded towel or bathrobe on top.
Yes! We have a variety of accessories to fit most of the models that we offer.
- Timers – We have two different types of timers: (1) A 24/7 day programmable timer is intended to be used with any of our hardwired towel warmers, and will give you the ability to program your towel warmer to turn itself on/off at designated intervals, that you can set to your liking. (2) A plug-in 24/7 day programmable timer, that works just like the hardwired programmable timer, but works in conjunction with our plug-in units.
- Switches – We have a single-pole Pilot light rocker switch that will work with any of our towel warmers for customers who wish to control their unit with an on/off switch.
- Digital Heat Controller – The digital heat controller only works with our QUADRO, SIRIO, VEGA and ANTUS collections. It is designed to allow the user to have more control over the temperature the unit runs at, by giving them 9 different heat settings to choose from. It is standard on all models except the Quadro Q2016 and Sirio S2121
- Bath Robe Hooks – We have bath robe hooks that will work with our Antus, Sirio, Quadro, Vega and Jeeves collections
- Towel Bars – We have towel bar accessories which mount just as a robe hook would, creating an additional bar that you can hang towels on. This accessory doesn’t heat the towel. This accessory works with our Sirio, Vega, Quadro and Jeeves models.
- Shelf Bar – Similar to the towel bar, it attaches onto the unit like a robe hook, and creates a small shelf that sits in front of the unit, allowing you to keep towels for use at a future time, and will also benefit from any heat the unit puts out. This accessory only works with our straight Jeeves and all Sirio models.
- Replacement horizontal bars – If you own a Vega or Quadro towel warmer, and any of the horizontal bars gets scratched, dented or damaged in any way, you can purchase a replacement bar for the damaged one. These bars simply snap on/off and are available in brushed and polished finishes.
- The Italian made Towel Warmers (QUADRO, SIRIO, VEGA and ANTUS) come equipped with a red on/off push button switch on the faceplate that will illuminate when switched on. The ELORY towel warmers come with a digital, touch display on the right side of the unit, allowing the customer turn it on/off with the touch of a finger.
- The Jeeves Collections and the Traditional models do not come with a built-in switch. They are offered with the hardwire kit necessary to hardwire the unit included in the price. Having a separate switch/timer allows you to place it in the most convenient position for your application. It also enables you to match the switch to the other fittings and décor of the room. These units have been tested to work with our 7day/24hr programmable timer or the simple rocker pilot switch.
- The SOLO Freestanding models come with a built-in on/off switch located on the top of the unit.
- The Swivel models come equipped with an on/off switch on the bottom of the unit.
- Yes, but not all towel warmer collections. The Italian towel warmers (Antus, Vega, Sirio, Quadro and Elory) can be mounted in any direction you desire (upside down or sideways) and will still perform just as they are expected to. This may be done as the customer may want the wiring and switch to be on the top left of the unit.
- The Traditional and Jeeves models must ONLY be mounted with the wiring on the bottom right side of the unit, or else the unit will not function properly and one section could become extremely hot.
I see that all of your products have the electrical wiring on the bottom right hand side of the towel warmer; can I order the unit with the wiring on the left hand side?
- Yes, it is possible to order the units with a Left Hand electrical fitting for the Jeeves and Traditional models.
- The Italian towel warmers (Quadro, Sirio, Vega and Antus), can also have a left hand electrical fitting but this is a special order item, please see custom section below for more details.
- We have two collections that come as plug-in only towel warmers: 1) Solo Collection and 2) Swivel Collection. All of these units come with a cord and plug to be plugged directly into the wall.
- Although not intended to be a plug-in as they are higher end and are primarily used for hardwire installation, any of our Jeeves models can be easily converted to a plug in unit. The units come with a 36” long wire which can be cut to any length and fitted with a standard UL certified three-prong plug which can be found at any hardware store. You may also use it into our 7day/24hr plug-in programmable timer.
- The majority of our towel warmers are installed indoors away from outside weather. The concern with installing a towel warmer outdoors is the exposure to the elements, notably heavy rain, snow or ice. If there is a large amount of water that can get behind the faceplate and into the electrical wiring it can cause the unit to short circuit. If the unit is properly installed in a covered location, it could be protected and not face any problems, but there is always a risk.
- If the unit is wired in a covered pool area, we recommend using outdoor weather-proof wire connectors such as those by Ideal Industries and sealing the faceplate with silicone and/or the use of a single-gang box gasket.
- If you are within a close proximity to the beach, or salty water/air, we strongly recommend protecting your towel warmer from these conditions.
- We do have a freestanding towel warmer, the Solo, that comes with a cord and plug which can be used outdoors when wanted, and then brought indoors when it is no longer needed.
- Looking for a more unique look, style, shape or size? We also offer Custom Size towel warmers that can be fabricated to suit. We offer custom sizes available for our QUADRO, ELORY, SIRIO, VEGA and ANTUS collections in polished and brushed finishes. See our Custom Units PDF here.
- For customers who would like the electrical wiring on the bottom left hand side of our Italian Collections (QUADRO, SIRIO, VEGA and ANTUS) this can be done but it is a special order item.
- For customers who would like the electrical wiring on left hand side of our Jeeves Collection, this can be done at our warehouse in the brushed and polished finishes. With the Oil Rubbed Bronze and White finishes, we must order it this way from the manufacturer and is considered a special order item.
- For customers who require the Hydronic version, we offer all our Italian Collection and Jeeves Collection in Hydronic form. As this is not the common application in the USA, we do not stock these items here, but would be more than happy to place a special order for a hydronic model for you.
- ALL Customer Size & Special Order items require a 50% deposit prior to placing the order and the remaining 50% prior to delivery. All custom and special order items carry a 12-14 week lead time, beginning on the date the deposit is received by Amba Products.
Don’t see your question answered here? Submit it to us!